PUERTA DE JEREZ
Puerta de Jerez is one of the most emblematic monuments of the city. It is the gate of the last walled enclosure that was built in the 13th century, perhaps under the rule of the North African Marinids, who made Tarifa their main port.
It is a door sandwiched between two square towers with a straight access. It is formed by three consecutive arches. The first is ogival, in sandstone. Behind it, there is a barrel vault that is separated from the door by a possible groove from a portcullis. Then there is the first horseshoe arch and then a domed vault, which opens the way to the third arch, which is also a horseshoe.
In the year 2000 it was restored, enabling a space for the placement of the altarpiece “El Cristo de Los Vientos” by the artist from Tarifa, Guillermo Pérez Villalta.
The shield located in the upper part of the door accompanies the legend that recalls the taking of the city by Sancho IV the Brave in 1292, “VERY NOBLE, VERY LOYAL AND HEROIC CITY OF TARIFA”.
From the Puerta de Jerez we can see several typical streets such as:
that owes its name to the granaries that existed in it.
Calle de la Luz
has always had numerous shops, making it a busy street.
where the weights of the grain from the silos were made. The hook where the “romana”(all gadget to weigh) was held is still at number 4.